Some interesting data concerning the performance of PlayStation 5 at the time of its debut comes from Japan . We know, in fact, that in Italy it is becoming really difficult to take the console home at launch, with online stores that are literally KO for too much traffic, but how did things go in the Land of the Rising Sun?
According to numbers revealed by Famitsu and reported by the Gematsu website, Sony’s next-gen console sold 118,085 units in the week from November 9th to 15th , that is the one where the launch of last November 12th on the reference market took place. An interesting fact is that, however, only one PS5 game finished in the top 10 of the best sellers of the week : it is Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales , which placed 18,640 units. For the rest, therefore, many players have decided to rely on purchases of digital copies, or to exploit PS5 especially in backward compatibility – considering that the best-selling of the week was Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War , with 84,475 copies. It will be necessary to understand how much or not these numbers are also influenced by stocks, which, as we are noticing, are far from abundant.
Another interesting fact is that Nintendo Switch continues its march undaunted, next-gen or not: in the same week as PS5 and Xbox Series X, in fact, the Kyoto platform has put together 116,267 units (adding the standard and the Lite model), numbers slightly lower than those of these former on the PS5 debut – but they cover less than a week.
There is also data from Xbox , which has put together 20,534 units in a historically difficult market like Japan, where Xbox One has never managed to establish itself. We will see if, in this generation, things will turn out differently, as Phil Spencer wants to impose himself. The previous generation, Xbox One, according to data reported by SegmentNext has just exceeded 100,000 units, so there is room for improvement for ambitious Microsoft consoles.
The best-selling games of the week in Japan
- [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (SIE, 11/13/20) – 84,475 (New)
- [PS4] Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft, 11/10/20) – 45,055 (New)
- [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous, 11/12/20) – 32,906 (New)
- [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 32,585 (5,974,018)
- [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Nintendo, 10/30/20) – 31,073 (270,347)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 24,115 (1,807,723)
- [PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous, 11/12/20) – 22,955 (New)
- [PS4] Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (SIE, 11/12/20) – 22,882 (New)
- [NSW] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (Square Enix, 11/12/20) – 22,813 (New)
- [PS5] Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (SIE, 11/12/20) – 18,640 (New)
The best-selling consoles of the week in Japan
(In brackets the total installed base of the platform since launch)
- PlayStation 5 – 103,901 (New)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 14,181 (New)
- Switch – 93,671 (13,215,665)
- Switch Lite – 22,596 (2,824,591)
- Xbox Series X – 16,247 (New)
- Xbox Series S – 4,287 (New)
- PlayStation 4 – 2,903 (7,674,109)
- New 2DS XL (includes 2DS) – 474 (1,746,460)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 71 (1,575,100)
- New 3DS XL – 23 (5,888,770)
- Xbox One X – 14 (20,980)
- Xbox One S – 11 (93,662)
If you want to play on Nintendo Switch, we recommend you take advantage of the reduced price on Switch Lite offered by Amazon.