In the past few hours we have told you our very first impressions of FIFA 23 after testing the game on PS5 with a beta version, which was accompanied by a presentation for the press in which Electronic Arts explained what the key characteristics of the experience will be for this latest FIFA .
However, in neither case was it possible to find out more about the PS4 and Xbox One version of the game, other than the fact that these two platforms will be able to count on cross-play between them . However, they will not be able to have cross-play with the new consoles, with PC and with Stadia.
But how will the older generation game differ from what we will see on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X | S and Stadia? To reveal it to us are the official notes sent by EA for the announcement of the game, where the details for the Legacy Edition had already been anticipated, which also this year awaits Switch users.
What immediately catches the eye is that none of the descriptions of the game we received, when speaking of PS4 and Xbox One , referred to HyperMotion 2 . It is not even mentioned on the game’s pre-order page on Amazon – where it is present for the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions.
This technology will therefore not be included on older consoles , which consequently will be able to count on less realistic details – beyond the differences related to the generational leap in graphics.
In the presentation of the next generation game, EA describes HyperMotion 2 as follows:
« HyperMotion 2 technology – Advances in gameplay technology HyperMotion, with double the data captured, allows for new features and brings over 6 thousand authentic animations to FIFA 23 , taken from millions of frames of advanced game capture ».
This is never mentioned in the description of the game for PS4 and Xbox One , so it’s a technology we won’t see in gaming on older consoles.
The “Matchday Experience” feature is also not mentioned , present instead in the game features on the new generation and described as follows: «from augmented reality replays to ultra-realistic field surfaces and an improved stadium atmosphere, you will get a new level experience for the day of the match, in FIFA 23 ».
On PS4 and Xbox One, therefore, let’s not expect a leap forward for stadiums, playing fields and replays more articulated than in the past: the feature is mentioned only on the new generation.
All the other features we discussed in our test are instead cited and presented by EA also regarding how the game will be on the old consoles. We will therefore have on PS4 and Xbox One the women’s teams, the new Power Shot , the new set pieces , renewed passes and both the World Cup.
FIFA 23 on PS4 and Xbox One: what’s not there
To sum up, the game in this version does not have:
- Cross-play with new generation platforms : only cross-play between the two older generation, PS4 and Xbox One will be possible.
- HyperMotion 2 technology : the latter is mentioned and is therefore integrated only for the new generation version of FIFA 23 .
- Matchday experience : no improvements related to the “television” atmosphere of the matches, including stadiums, playing fields and highly spectacular replays.
FIFA 23 on PS4 and Xbox One: what’s there
To sum up, the older generation game will rely on:
- FIFA World Cup : You will be able to play the Qatar 2022 Men’s World Cup and the 2023 Australia and New Zealand Women’s World Cup.
- Women’s Football : A leap forward for content dedicated to women’s football, including clubs from the FA Women’s Super League and Division 1 Arkema since launch.
- Gameplay improvements : new Power Shots, set pieces, improved physics.
- Training center : A new system that allows new players to intelligently discover the features and depth of the game system.
- Cross-play only between platforms of the same generation.
- FUT : FUT is back too and EA has promised new ICONs and new Heroes.
- Career mode
- Pro Clubs
- Volta Football
- Contents : over 19 thousand players, more than 700 teams, 100 stadiums and over 30 leagues.
FIFA 23 will also be released on PS4 and Xbox One on September 30th.